Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Girl Without A Brisket On Her Back


I swear this wasn't my idea.

Lucy decided on her own that laying on the ground with a plate of brisket on her back would make a good photo. She tried several brisket poses, but decided this one was best. She also decided it should be shared with all of you on the blog and also that I should tweet it.

Last week, David pointed out that nearly every picture on the blog recently had been of Lucy. He also pointed out that someday the children would scroll through this little blog as adults and Edie would see she was featured less and maybe she'd think we loved her less. And maybe she'd start doing coke and having sex with the New York Knicks just to get us back.

So I'm now going to speak to my daughter, grown-up Edie, who might be wondering if I didn't love her or think she was adorable enough to make the blog. Here goes:


Dear Edie,

Your sister is a ham bone. If someone raises a camera within a radius of 200 yards, Lucy drops into her ethereal, angelic, contemplative face and gently, softly picks at the petals of a flower, as if she were a fair maiden lost in the woods, dazed among the daisies. You, on the other hand, put your hands over your face, make scrinchy troll faces and throw things at the camera. I know this is a phase, but the only pictures I get of you lately are the ones I sneak. And even then, you say "Don't tweet that, Mommy!" as if I were going to tell everyone you got your period or something.

Also, you don't want me to talk much about Boily, Shapian and Sarah, your imaginary friends, who I'm afraid we will lose someday soon and they will go unrecorded and undocumented and eventually we will all forget they even existed. And that would be a shame because last week, Boily, Shapian and Sarah ate a human in my living room and sucked the blood out of it. Or at least that's what you told me. I feel like they should be writing their own blog.


Mostly, Edie, I want you to know that whether your picture is posted here these days as much as your ham bone sister is of no matter. These things ebb and flow. And anyway, girl, you shine without trying. You've never needed to jump in front of the camera or push someone else aside so you can be seen. You have quiet strength. You are sure of who you are, like no one else I know. You are a wild goat on a near-vertical rocky cliff. Sure-footed. Hoof over hoof on crags. Hoof over hoof across ravines. Dangling off the rocky edges. Skipping up the side of mountains. Without fear. Without faltering.

If you are wondering where you got that, well, that's all your daddy. You might have my eyes, but you have his core. That will get you places.

So, grown-up Edie, even if you don't see your photos here as much these days, know that I see you. Really see you. Every day...Even if you won't pose with a brisket on your back and let me write about it.

xo Mommy

Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Twitter
Facebook


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Edie, I can vouch for your mom in saying she loves you, Lucy and your daddy all the same. Her charcuterie comes in a close second:)

Molly said...

Jesus, if Edie's gonna start doing coke and having sex with a pro sports franchise, let it be the Mets, for crying out loud. STANDARDS.

Also, when I read that Lucy was wearing a brisket on her back, I thought she'd gone all Lady Gaga meat-dress on us. This is marginally less wacky.

Margie said...

@Molly-AHAHAHA!

The Yummy Mummy said...

Molly -

Oh crap. I totally messed up my chance to have her sleep with the Mets.

Kim

The Yummy Mummy said...

Tastes Better with Friends -

Ha! I love that brisket nearly as much as I love my kids.

Kim

Michelle (What's Cooking with Kids) said...

Thanks for the laugh. Again.

365daysofbaking said...

Kim,
that picture is priceless and I love your post! I look forward to following your adventures this year.

Barbara | VinoLuciStyle said...

I have two girls, now both much older than yours but I could have written this post. Emily...the one who yelled from the stage in a preschool choir performance, 'Hi Mom' - knowing it (and the laughter that followed) would be recorded for posterity; yes, she would have worn meat I'm sure. Then there is Lauren who at 27 can still be shy about asking something from a stranger. So different yet so loved. Like yours.

Nuts about food said...

Teary as usual. Why Kim, do you do this to me??? I love, love, love the way you write. I wish my mom had written such beautiful words to express her love to me. Your girls are lucky. And man is that a huge brisket.

Christine said...

Lovely post as always. Man, I think Lucy may be the whole ham, and even the lower half of the pig. Girlfriend loves a photo op.

(I love that picture of David and Edie, your girls are both so beautiful. Inside and out.)

The Yummy Mummy said...

Nuts about Food -

Thank you for that. Really. You just made my whole day. xoxo

Kim

The Yummy Mummy said...

Christine -

The funny thing is we think Edie will be the actress. Lucy is all out there with her charisma, but at the end of the day, she's an introvert. She gets recharged from being away from people and going into herself.

She's an artist, in her head and her imagination. So many stories and scenarios going on there where no one is looking.

Edie doesn't seek out the attention but when she has the spotlight she flutters and flies and finds herself. She abhors the idea of it, but once she is there, she inhabits another part of herself. We think she'll want to keep doing that as she gets older.

But who knows, right? They might be tax accountants, which is just fine with me.

Thank you for your kind words about the kids. We think they are pretty great but we are stupidly biased, as we should be.

Thanks!

Kim

FoOd FaNaTiC said...

SO FUNNY! This photo cracks me up. Love your posts :)

rita said...

Do you remember when I used to tell you that you'd go to New York City and become an actress?? Well, I was half right. LOL

Mairi@Toast said...

Just such a gorgeous post.

Anonymous said...

Great Post!

ivoryhut said...

As the girl who make troll faces at the camera and runs as if the lens were a giant claw poised to tear out her flesh, and as a girl who is a shameless mama's girl, this gave me a lump in my throat. And then it made me call my mommy.