Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Quick Thought about Going to Conferences...


A bunch of us food writers recently went to a food writing conference.

It always happens that after a conference, there is a good deal of consternation and analysis across the internet, about ourselves and each other, and then, a general blood-letting of anxieties where everyone confesses how insecure they are at their core, how they weren't popular in high school, and will never be in the food writing world. There are hurt feelings, people feeling snubbed. It always makes me sad to read it.

So, I thought I'd share this with you all...


On the way to the conference, I jotted down a few things. To remind myself where my focus should be. To be mindful. To be grounded. To be aware of what was happening around me. These words served me well for the conference, and probably for more things in the future. I read them every morning. I pulled the book out to remind myself during the day. I carried the book everywhere with me. When I felt myself deviating from it, or forgetting it, or getting focused on something that felt wrong in my gut, I pulled it out and re-read it. Once, I read it in a bathroom stall. It was my road map. It was one of the last things I looked at before I fell asleep.

Life is about meaningful connection. That's it. That's all. We need to focus on the people who get us. Impress them. Care about them. Listen to them. Everyone else can go to hell.

Here's what I wrote. Maybe you can use this for something...

1. Act the part.
2. Fake it if you don't know what you're doing.
3. Be in the moment.
4. Own it & have a blast.
5. Make people feel special.
6. Ask lots of questions & listen.
7. Talk "The Family Talk" (which means don't talk badly about people)
8. Do not soak up other people's crazy.
9. Believe in who you are.
10. Be happy at your core.

xo YM

Stumble
Delicious
Technorati
Twitter
Facebook


18 comments:

Janis said...

You forgot "Wear clean underwear"

SMITH BITES said...

I. LOVE. YOU. you will forever be my hero, Kim . . . for realz

My Man's Belly said...

I do something very similar. It might be more "business" than creative, but it keeps me on course and allows the bs to fall away.

I'm sad that our paths didn't cross at the conference.

The Yummy Mummy said...

11. Wear clean underpants. Done. :)

The Yummy Mummy said...

My Man's Belly -

At one point you were two feet away from me. I turned around and you were gone.

We were so close. Gah! Next time...

Kim

Cindy Rowland said...

I loved your tweet from the airport about getting through security and now I'm developing a crush. Really wish we had met @ blogherfood. I'd add 'eat something fantastic everyday.'

Barbara | Creative Culinary said...

Great list Kim and if number 10 were the only one on it, the rest would probably not even have to be!

Though Janis is right, I think with you my caution might be more, 'Wear Underwear.' ;)

Two Minute Takes said...

It's a great list and one that could/should be applied to every occasion where one has to interact with others (not to mention every Thanksgiving and Christmas family gathering!)

The Yummy Mummy said...

Vanilla Bean Baker -

Especially family gatherings! Yikes! :)

Kim

Mrs. FoodieLawyer said...

Beautiful advice and perspective - thank you! Hands-down our favorite part of the conference was your sausage-making demo. You guys made everyone attending feel welcome and included and fostered the greatest sense of community we experienced the whole trip!

The Yummy Mummy said...

Mrs. Foodie Lawyer -

So funny! I was thinking about you two today when I was writing this post. You both were so fun, excited, happy, with interesting things to say. That spirit was infectious. It was fun to be around. You guys are the epitome of "own it and have a blast".

Thanks for being my inspiration. Seriously.

Kim

OMG! Yummy said...

So glad I met you the last morning in the taxi! Great list. We should repost all of these reminders BEFORE the next conference so we can all navigate through the events with less anxiety and truly make the most of the opportunity.

Winnie said...

I thought you were my friend... why did you not share this with me until now? It's pretty brilliant. Love you and sorry I got in so late on Saturday...didn't leave us any time to snuggle :)

Amelia PS said...

Exactly my philosophy! Enter the good, exit the bad.

Jennifer Reid said...

Great advice...thanks Kim! :)

merry jennifer said...

I really like the "Do not soak up other people's crazy." line. That's a good one.

Great list, Kim. Every item on there is perfect.

MrsWheelbarrow said...

Seriously, like Winnie, I'm wondering why you were not sharing this while we were there? It was great conferencing and sausaging and otherwise experiencing the whole thing with you

Dianne Jacob said...

You may not believe this, Kim, but your post just showed up on my Wordpress list of incoming links. (!)

Anyway, it's never too late to say that this is a fantastic, positive, kick ass list. I couldn't believe the outpouring of angst on my blog's comments, so this is such a great counter to it all.